Bartolomeo Cavaceppi (Rome 1717 - 1799)
The plaster satyr comes from the Cavaceppi workshop.
The statue is missing the head, left forearm, calf, and much of the left foot. It shows a satyr advancing with dignity, carrying a goatskin on his left shoulder and a thyrsus in his right hand. His right leg rests on a richly decorated plaster projection.
This was a cast taken from a marble statuette in Villa Albani. Stylistically it is linked to the dancing satyrs of the Hellenistic world, a typology that came into existence in the second half of the second century BC, and associated by its refined smoothness to the Neo-Attic creations of the first century BC.